During that time a cat named Linus mysteriously appeared in the mix of things.
This is me finally getting around to the story of how Linus joined our little family and became one half of the world's most confusing and adorable bromance of all time.
I've never really been much of a cat person. I mean, enjoy cats and will play with them but dogs are just the best. And cats aren't always looking to be my loyal and unfailing best friend. Plus cats aren't always super great at doing circus-like tricks. Hence, the whole dog-person thing.
I've always had a cat growing up, but didn't really have an inkling to get one anytime soon.
And then this guy followed me into my apartment.
He was a thin black cat with a torn-up collar that had clearly been choking him. He obviously was recently adopted and a well meaning family put a toy collar on the cat and let him loose. He tried to rip it off which just made it tighter.
Naturally, I had to take him in and give him some food and take the collar off that was choking him.
His name tag said his name was Sirius and he made himself comfortable in our apartment.
We kept him for the night because we didn't know if he was an outdoor cat or not and wanted to make sure he went back to his right home.
Oh, and Bruin loved him.
Followed him around, gave him kisses, tried to share his toys, and all other things dogs do to show love.
We found his family of young children the next day. We talked to them about the right collars for cats instead of using toy ones especially for an outdoor cat, what they were feeding him, making sure they kept tabs on him in general, and kissed him goodbye.
Bruin was sad. He whined and whined and whined out the window as Dave handed over the perfect little black cat to the kids from next door who had identified them as theirs.
So I mean....my hands were tied.
It was out of my control.
We just had to get our dog a cat.
(This is all normal right? People get their cats as pets for their dogs all the time right?)
After making some big eyes at Dave while hugging the dog, we ended up at the local animal shelter two days later. While there were many kittens just weeks old, there were a couple that were 3-4 months old that caught our eye.
There were a few that we liked but Dave got attached to one in particular that wouldn't stop crawling all over him. Because that's how boys fall in love.
This was him the day we brought him home.
I had heard the local pep-band playing "Linus and Lucy" on a run a few days before so you could say the name was stuck in my head. We named him Linus and brought him home.
Bruin was obviously interested in this second feline that we brought into our home in just a week.
And Linus was interested in the little polar bear that kept following him around.
They got along pretty well that first night. Lots of sniffing and noises being made. They were friendly.
With that said, when I got home the next day from work and laid down on the couch for a little nap, this happened.
That's right folks, this is just after one day.
You can just take a minute to set this as your new desktop photo.
So, there it is, the story of how Linus came to be a part of our family.
Linus and Bruin are now besties.
Bruin cleans Linus's ears on a nightly basis. Linus eats Bruin's food when he feels like it and sometimes even shares his own. They chase each other around the apartment, watch birds out the window, wake us up in the morning, and get locked in the crate together when they just get too excited over company.
Of course they still cuddle on the couch with each other because they're trying to break my iPhone memory.
Also, they keep eachother company when we're gone. (This is literally how I left them one day on my way out to school. I HAD to take a photo.)
Like I said, a bromance that will go down in history.
A cute little end to this story is that Sirius is still around. He is officially a neighborhood cat and has grown rather attached to the neighbors downstairs.
And during one of his daily visits to our yard guess who he got to meet?
So am I a cat person now?
No, not really. I would still categorize myself as a dog person I guess.
BUT, I guess you could see it like this:
I'm a dog person whose dog is definitely both a "cat person" and a "dog person". (Shhh Bruin still thinks he's human. It's just easier that way.)
And I'm also a dog person who owns a cat that's a "dog person" too. :)
Have an awesome day, and go hug your pets for me!
This is precious!! My cat doesn't like other animals, so until I move out, my parents aren't getting another pet.
ReplyDeleteI loved that post! I wish my landlord would let us have pets. One day I am definitely getting one of my own.
ReplyDelete