My google homepage will show me headlines and I occasionally click on the ones that don't have to do with Martha Stewart riding a Harley or Kris Jenner's music video from the 80's that recently resurfaced. Because apparently those aren't considered "real" news stories.
Not just because I am curious, like to be informed, and enjoy being the life of the gathering at a cocktail party with conversations about the national debt. ( I guess the imaginary cocktail parties I'd like to be invited to are boring.)
But, I'm also an educator. And since I'm a teacher and kids just assume that we know everything, I usually feel as though it's my duty to at least try to do so.
Within the last year there have been a lot of headlines that have to do with the education world. Sometimes good, and mostly bad.
This weekend an article really caught my eye:
(By Christina Kristofic Staff Writer PhillyBurbs.com)
Go ahead, click the link and read the article for a quick catch up in case you haven't heard about it.
Back? Okay.
So this headline probably grabbed my attention because it had two buzz words that I tend to pay attention to these days: blogging, and teacher.
This incident, was a case wher a teacher who happened to have a personal blog ended up blogging about some of her students in a not-so-very-flattering manner. She blogged about comments that she wished she could put on report cards, the types of students she does not enjoy teaching, and gripes and groans about her daily job. Her blog was small with very few followers and she didn't think anyone would find it or care.
This story started in February when the teacher's blog was found by students and parents who complained to the school board. The story is just now popping up again because the school could find no way to suspend her, and decided late last week that she was allowed to return to her job.
I was surprised that I hadn't heard this story earlier but then realized that in February I was A) not a "blogger" yet and B) kind of busy planning my wedding. But after I read the first article this weekend I spent an hour reading other articles about the original event, reader comments, and even dug up her blog to read what she had first written and maybe even her side of the story.
Do I think she should've made the blatantly rude comments she did on her blog? No.
I get point the people are making that she should be able to have a blog and blog about her feelings because of freedom of speech. But just like it's not a good idea to bad mouth your boss in public, it's probably a bad idea to call kids stupid and imply that there's no hope for them to exceed in life.
A much as I come home on certain days exhausted and sometimes even frustrated that lessons hadn't gone as well as I hoped, I don't think it's right to insult students in a public forum. I also understand that my students are not always how they behave.
They are adolescents, still figuring out who they are and making mistakes. They all have potential to succeed, it's our job to inspire them to do so and even display and model life skills even manners. Because I don't just teach English, I teach Life 101.
End of story.
But after making my own judgments on the situation it got me thinking....could this happen to me?
Could this blog cost me my job? And is running the risk of doing so worth it?
![]() |
| via |
When it comes to teachers and blogging there seem to be two types.
There are the "Teacher Bloggers", those who blog strictly about their professional endeavors, what they do in the classroom, and keep it as a way to share with other educators about the effective tools and strategies that they use in the classroom.
And of course are the "Personal Bloggers who also just so happen to have a career as a teacher", those of whom blog about their day to day lives or hobbies, and some of which let the topic of their career seep into their blog as it is a part of their day to day life.
I, with my bouts of sarcasm, jokes about reality T.V., and numerous pictures of my dog in hats and my family frolicking in the lake clearly fit into the latter title. But as I scrolled down my page to view the tags that apply to the posts that I've written, I realized that the tag "Teaching" was one of the "biggest" ones.
I am officially a personal blogger who casually mentions portions of my experiences as a teacher in posts. From the looks of it, a good number of them.
Yikes! It was time to do some digging in my archives.
When I looked through my all of my posts about teaching, some are completely about the topic, and some have a mere mention of it embedded within a post. I've posted before about things as small as packing up and planning new units to the school budget debates and how hard it would be for me to loose my students of two years.
As I read the post about the school budget I remembered how I tried to explain the situation and my worries without sounding like I had an opinion on those involved. And as I read the post on how much I was going to miss my students and the last day of school, I also remembered how careful I was while writing not to mention students specifically or reveal any personal information.
After many minutes of investigation, I don't think I've posted anything about school that a student, parent, or anyone else that may know who I am could could take as offensive, rude, or unprofessional like Ms. Munroe did. So that worry was gone. This is something that I believe I've been pretty careful with.
But even though I respect my student's privacy, and take my job very seriously as a professional, it is tough not to post about something that takes up sooooo much of my life.
I didn't start this blog to write about only teaching. I guess I started this blog as a way to write all of the crazy things that are always pumping through my head. Like a diary for grow-ups that everyone is allowed to read. I'm sure Dave loves the fact that I have a blog since now I'm not talking his ear off all of the time.
Just most of the time.
But I digress, like I said, it's tough not to write about things like my worries for the new school year, what I'm excited to do in the classroom, and general day-to-day happenings as a teacher. They take up so much of my brain space.
And I mean let's face the music here folks, if students or parents found this blog would it matter if I blogged about school at all? Because maybe, if parents and students found this blog and there was absolutely no mention of my teaching at all, they would still be freaked out by the fact that it's kind of an open book to a person that society can sometimes place on a pedestal of not being a person at all.
So, what do you think?
1) Do you agree with me that what Natalie Munroe wrote on her blog was wrong and disrespectful to her students, or do you think teachers should be able to write whatever they'd like to based their First Amendment Right to Freedom of Speech?
2) Is there a place for talking about teaching on a personal blog, or should it be harbored only on the blogs specifically set up as a professional space? And if it does have a place on a personal blog, what is appropriate? Paint color? Lesson Plans? Anecdotal stories? General feelings when the day is done?
3) Should teachers have a public and blog at all?
4)Based on past posts I've done on teaching previously, do you think the way I've written about school warrants any worries if someone whether a colleague, administrator, student or parent came upon it? If you were a parent or student that came upon this blog, what would you think?
5) Do you think teachers are held to a higher standard when it comes to their personal lives than people in other professions?
6) What rules do you follow when writing about your job and your blog?
I would love any and all opinions that I get on any number of these questions, whether you answer just one or all 6.
Let's get this conversation started!
And for good measure I shall leave you with a few of my favorite Pintrest teaching Pins:
![]() |
| via |
![]() |
| via |
![]() |
| via |




My thoughts on question 3: I think teachers should be able to have a public blog just like the rest of us, however, I think they need to post a little bit more discreetly than Ms. Munroe. She needs to remember that because she is a teacher, she is also a role model for her students. If her students see her out in public acting inappropriate, they may think it's okay to act that way because she is, and same goes for her blog. If they read and think about what she typed, they might feel it's okay to say the same things about peers, parents, and teachers. I don't see when a teacher's job is ever finished when the children go home, or maybe I just don't know that much about teaching. (Disclaimer: These are my thoughts, and they are in no way intended to be offensive or rude, so I apologize in advance if they come across that way.)
ReplyDeleteBoth of you lovely ladies got lots of very good points and my say on this is that I think she's unhappy with her job, she needs to keep stuff on herself,better diversion and outlet towards such feelings.I mean yes we're all entitled with our very own opinion/freedom of speech but of course there's always a limitation not because it's true/the truth doesn't mean we should just say it out loud or do it indirectly even though you think they won't read/hear/see it doesn't mean you should say it either way.I do believe that being a teacher is a tough job but truly worth it.
ReplyDeleteIt's totally fine to have a public blog as long as it's not harassing/assaulting anyone in anyway.Nowadays we should not underestimate the power of the internet it may cost you your life,job,family it can rise you up to fame the possibilities are endless.Such feelings of anger or hate is better noted/written privately coz you never know what might hit you so it's better to be extra cautious.
Great post! I agree she should not have written those things, maybe her blog was small but you never know! I don't have a personal blog yet but know that if I did I would be careful what I said about work! She could have always run her personal blog anonymously. I know many people who do this, it's a great way to be yourself and express yourself without the backfire!? You know like that waiters blog, have you seen that I think it's called waiter rant idk but he blogs about customers and no one knows who he is, thats funny a teacher though thats not too funny as a teacher myself I know it can be frustrating but maybe find a different outlet!
ReplyDeleteLove your teacher prints, cute!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe do have the right to free speech but that right doesn't mean we should disrespect people whenever we feel like it. There is a time and place for everything. If you are a teacher maybe the web isn't the place to rant about your students just like an employee can't rant about his or her boss.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jessica. If you teach kids I think you have to walk a fine line when writing a personal blog since you are a role model by default. People in all professions are losing their jobs or being suspended because of their activity on the web... Everyone(myself included) can stand to be a little more careful when writing about the people in our lives. Extra care must be taken when children are involved- there is always the chance that they will find what you have written and be damaged forever.
I guess the short answer to the main question is ANONYMITY.
Hi! Love this, may have to 'steal' two of those images you put at the bottom because i think they ring so true!
ReplyDeleteThis may not be connected at all but i just wrote a post myself about a South Korean drama called 'Hello My Teacher' that my friends and i are about to watch together that kinds of talks about this
Like i said in my post, who forgets first, the teacher or the student? As a teacher myself i would never want to say anything in a moment of anger that could change what a person thinks of themselves for the rest of their lives and end up impacting them in a negative way.
I do respect freedom of speech but that's just the thing 'respect' it does not extend to what you have the 'right' to say as a person but rather it extends to how you treat others and even as a person, outside of being a teacher, part of respecting someone, anyone is to not be flat out rude.
That fact does not change when you're a teacher.
i do believe that more pressure is put on teachers and their lifestyles, especially where i live in the caribbean, i don't approve of the pressure but i do think it's fair to ask that a teacher lives what she teaches. Who will respect someone who says 'don't call names' in the classroom and then does so the first chance they get? I wouldn't, why would i expect them to?
sure the argument exists that one may never get caught but there is a saying that goes 'Character is who you are when nobody else is looking'
Whenever and if ever i blog about my work i try to keep it as anonymous as possible, it's not my intention to hurt anyone and so i try to leave no room for that to happen.
Lots of great comments above. One of the things I love about blogging is the opportunity to be completely open and candid about a variety of topics. In order to do that, I feel most comfortable blogging under a nickname. If someone really wanted to find out who I was, it wouldn't be that difficult. But if my employer googled my name for some reason, my blog wouldn't come up. To me that's a reasonable degree of separation between personal and professional. When blogging about work, I'm always careful to leave out things that could specifically identify my employer, so there's no way they could say my blog reflects on them in any way.
ReplyDeleteNatalie was foolish to keep a public blog under her real name, and make such negative comments. I'd argue teachers in general shouldn't blog publicly under their real names if their blog is personal. Our local school board has issued a guideline that teachers should not be friends with students on Facebook for the similar reason that it blurs personal and professional boundaries. In many cases, nothing good comes from students having that level of access to information about their teachers' private lives.