Friday, July 22, 2011

Selling Out in the Bloggy World and Online Exposure Questions

So did you read that last post? The one where I begged and pleaded for you to just cast one vote so I don't have bad dreams of the internet throwing rotten tomatoes at me for the rest of my life?

Yeah, that was awkward for you to read now wasn't it?

The easiest thing for me to do when it comes to blogging is to write. I have like 5 posts I could put up right now but things like packing for camping, going to work, and looking like a total nerd are currently in the way of that right now.

The toughest thing for me to do while blogging?

Gaining exposure through self-promotion.

And with this task always comes the question: Is there a difference between "Good" or "The Right" kind of exposure and "Bad" or "The Wrong" kind of exposure? Or is all exposure, no matter how you came to gain it, inherently good? When is the constant need for new readers considered selling out in the bloggy world?

I did something that made me feel icky recently.

I joined a couple of new social networks, as that is what people recommend you do in order to get more people reading. I've mentioned before that some of these social networks are ones that I love, and others are totally confusing and I can't quite figure out.

One of the easiest things for one to do is join a group on these networks to get your blog out there. I joined one that had something to do with "supporting". Okay,  doesn't require people to commit, and I might get some new comments and feedback.

So I joined. It didn't make me feel like I had to do something or others had to do something either.

I continued to browse and came across the token, "I'll Follow You if You Follow Me". The rules? You join, if someone follows you, you must follow them back. I struggled with this. It sounded like a quick and easy way to get followers, and in some of the comments other bloggers indicated that their followers had gone up since joining the group.

But something didn't feel right. What if someone followed my blog, and I visited theirs and was forced to then follow something that was utter CRAP. (Excuse my french. I meant to say poo.)

What if their blog had poor grammar, or was awkward, or was on something I did not care to read about in my bloggy reader? What if I wanted to unfollow?

I have always been eager to follow proper bloggy etiquette, but do all of the rules go out the window when you join a group that feels like it is almost as bad as spamming other blogs with your copy and pasted message of "That's fab! Now visit me at blah blah blah!".

I looked at my friend count. I was at 33. I was hoping to have more readers 4 months into my blog.

(And let's not get into the whole caring about followers thing. That's a post for a different day. I obviously started my blog for myself but for some narcissistic reason believe that other people should care about what I write because somewhere inside I think it is great and want to share it with everyone. That and my pictures of Bruin in hats.  I'll telling you, everyone in the world needs to see those.)

And with that I joined the group. Worse: I joined TWO groups of this mandatory following caliber.

I left my computer and went to work.

All I could think about was whether people were following, who I would have to follow, hoping the other blogs I would have to follow were going to be good or bad. Whether other bloggers would judge me for what I felt like was "selling out" or "cheating".

I got home. Logged on. Checked my followers: 33.

I was feeling miserable for about 5 hours for joining this group, and what did I gain? Nothing. Obviously 5 hours was not enough time for it to "work" and I had not gone on a clicking spree that would mandate all of the blogs I don't care about start following a blog they don't care about.

Knowing what I had to do, I went immediately to the site and left the groups. I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.

But immediately where that weight was lifted off, fear took it's place. What if I never get any more followers? How hard am I going to have to work to gain more exposure without feeling as miserable as I did today? Will I ever become a "significant" blogger?

Obviously, I have gotten another follower since this incident, so I know the answer. But as a part of the generation of instant online gratification with facebook statuses and minute to minute twitter, (Which I don't have, let's take baby steps in the amount of networks that require networking okay?) I get discouraged when I am not getting gratification that my content is worthwhile instantly and all of the time.

All of these self-conscious thoughts were brought back into the spotlight of my brain when this whole Best In Category thing came up. And yeah I know my last post, and this current post where I ask you to vote for me, #47 not to win but to just not be completely embarrassed in front of everyone is another case of the self-promotion, but where do you draw the line? When do you stop? Where?

So Questions I have for you my fine readers:

1. Have you ever joined a group like "Follow Me I'll Follow You" on a blogging network? If yes, do you ever regret it? If no, why not? Whether you have done this or not, does it ever feel like "Cheating" to you?

2. How have you gained exposure in your blog and gathered followers? Was it easy?

3. Where do you draw the line with self-promotion? Is there such thing as bad exposure?

4. Those of you with 50-100 followers: How long did it take you to get there, and how hard to you feel you had to work for it?

5. This is kind of like the "Do I have food on my face?" or "Is my fly down" question: Is there anything about my blog that you would like to critique? A specific tip on my layout, content, or online persona? Is there anything that would deter you from wanting to read my blog on a daily basis or deter you from following? (This question you can either answer to my comments or email. I guess with all of the questions you could do either. But if with this one you have something really nasty to say that you think will make me go running into the bathroom and crying then I'd rather email so I can eat my lunch in the bathroom stall in peace.)

I would love all of the feedback I can get, so answer any or all of the questions however you would like.

With that said, I'm linking up with Coffee Talk over at FTLOB's to get more traffic on the post for the ultimate feedback experience. Their question to answer was what did I do to make myself happy this week? And honestly. Writing this post to get all of these questions off of my chest feels pretty great.

Can't wait to hear from you! Thanks in advance!

9 comments:

  1. Blogging is a strange thing. I had two blogs previously, and they both went into two totally different directions.

    My old personal blog had like 30 readers after a good 2-3 months. I didn't write as personal on it and my new blog and it just didn't feel like me - so I deleted it.

    My old weight loss blog had over 100 readers in less then 1 month! However, I found out quickly that that niche wasn't for me - that group of girls were a little nutty! So, I deleted that one as well.

    This time around I am combining my efforts, and only following blogs that truly interest me. Like yours. :)

    1. I've never joined any of those groups. Didn't know they existed thought.

    2. In the past I gained followers from random google searches. A lot of people found my weight loss blog through my title posts - like "How to Count Calories", or "The Best Diet Foods".

    3. I prefer only good exposure.

    4. I still don't know why my weight loss blog had grown so quickly, because I only followed 30 or so blogs in return.

    5. I love blogs with lots of pictures. I am a very visual "reader". :)

    Sorry for the long reply - I hope this helps you out some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are experiencing this as it is a growing experience and we all go through this! We talk about the I follow you, you follow me in our e-course and it's something you should NEVER get involved with, it's shameless and horrible blogging etiquette! We at FTLOB do these fun promotional contests to give EVERYONE more exposure and there is NOTHING shameless about these types of Contests! U should feel PROUD to ask for those Votes and getting involved with everything on FTLOB is nothing to be ASHAMED about. We have this experience in social networking and as a BLOGGER you have every RIGHT to promote your Lovely BLOG----it's something we all have to do to get out there! But when we do it shamelessly, "I'm here to follow, come back and follow me" Is NOT the message we put out, we're against that and those Groups, and we specify that firmly in our blogging tips!

    Blogging is rewarding. It's something to be proud of, do not feel discouraged because you aren't gaining as fast as you'd like; it takes a LONG time to establish a healthy, successful blog and you cannot give up, surround yourself by good bloggers, congrats on leaving those groups, promote through link ups and contests (there is no shame in that, no matter what anyone says or thinks) there is shame in follows for follows and if you feel like you are not comfortable with that promoting, follow your heart....but in no way, shape or form are we at FTLOB a shameless self-promoting site; we are strongly against that! Best wishes...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like Holly, i only follow blogs that interest me, or in the same season of life i am (like yours) it makes it more easy to relate to and draw inspiration from. I also really like DYI blogs.

    1.I am part of a few blog communities, but like i said before i am a part of them because i like them. (i.e. 20 something blogger (my age group great group of people) For the Love of Blogs (it gives me a change to check out a lot of DYI blogs with out make the commitment to follow if i don't really like the blog, and it also gives me a change to follow blogs that interest me) and Blog Frog (its the first blog community i ever joined i don't do much on there anymore.)

    2. I have gained a few followers from those, but not many. I dont have a ton of followers. But i really started this blog from me to put my thoughts, and ideas out there. Dont get me wrong we all want more followers, but the moment i stop worrying about followers is the moment i start getting a couple.

    3. its all about GOOD exposure.

    4. I dont have that many followers so i dont know. But i think one day i will get there, but it will be in its own timing.

    5. i'm a total picture girl, i love words, but the time i have to sit and actully read lots of words is not long. So pictures help me glace through it more. I like the lay out of your blog. And i LOVE LOVE LOVE the content (its one of the few blogs i actually sit and read) your very easy to relate to.

    I think you have a great blog going and your followers will come in time. I found your blog on a whim, and sometimes that is how it happens, dont worry about what others will think of your blog, juist do what you do, do it well and people will follow.
    ~~Monique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do agree with the previous commentators, it's all about good exposure.

    When I first starting blogging (like most of us), I did it for myself and my own personal gain. But then I also went through that phase where you just want more followers and people reading and commenting.

    But then after a while I realized that it's much more about finding new and interesting blogs where you can truly connect with people.

    I actually then not to follow people that have over 100's or even 1000's of followers because that to me it's such a big crown that the experience feels unnatural, like you are just one of the audience and the person blogging (I am sure) cannot connect with all.

    My advice will be, don't sweat the small stuff about how many followers you have, just be yourself and blog as if nobody is reading, if you have a true, honest blog, I am sure the right audience will come.

    Best of luck, found you via For The Love Of Blogs! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this post pretty much sums up all my blogging questions and fears! I as well started my blog for me. I sought to motivate myself to keep exploring and getting inspired while keeping track of it all for future reference. That said, as I am sure you know, blogging takes up precious time! While I love, love, love writing and designing posts, it sure is nice to know someone else appreciates them too! Enter the desire to have more followers. I am just starting out so my count is really low plus many family and friends just follow and comment on Facebook. In the end, blogs are personal so why would one want followers who just followed to return the favor? That is like trying to be friends with someone with whom you have nothing in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had my blog for about two years, but only in the past six months or so have I started to actively become part of the "blogging community." I joined 20SB and started to be active in the forums, posting links to specific posts where appropriate. Between Friend Connect and Google Reader I seem to have gained about 40 new followers in that time. However, I suspect that many of the followers I've gotten from there, and definitely from Bloggers.com (which I joined but never did anything with), don't really read my blog often.

    What I've found to be much more successful is commenting on blogs. I do it every day. I star the ones I want to respond to in Google Reader while I'm at work and then comment on all of them when I get home. I can see from my invisible StatCounter (if you don't already have one, I recommend it!) that people often come to my blog via comments I've left on other blogs. The two strategies I've found most successful are to comment often on blogs that have a small, committed readership of people similar to me, and to comment as close to first as possible on blogs that have a large following, especially when I can post a link to a relevant post on my blog in my comment.

    From this I've gained not just committed readers but commenters, people who engage me in discussion, answer my questions, cheer me up when I need it. That is the most valuable thing to me. Numbers don't mean much to me if they're not translating into comments, and it's only in the past month or two that I've started getting comments on every post. So it really does take time, and I know that can be hard! But it's worth it if you want *real* followers, not just numbers.

    That's my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tricia! I wanted to take some time to answer your questions, but I am by no means an expert of any kind! I have only been blogging since the end of March, and have a ton to learn still myself.

    1. Have you ever joined a group like "Follow Me I'll Follow You" on a blogging network? If yes, do you ever regret it? If no, why not? Whether you have done this or not, does it ever feel like "Cheating" to you?

    I do not participate in any hops or communities that have a "rule" as far as following back. This is not really due to principle so much as it's due to simply not wanting to feel obligated to follow blogs I don't want to. I already follow quite a few blogs, and don't want posts that I have absolutely no interest in cluttering up my Reader.

    2. How have you gained exposure in your blog and gathered followers? Was it easy?

    I'm not completely sure, but this is what I do on a regular basis. Post nearly every post on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. The only ones I don't are ones that I don't feel like broadcasting to my entire Facebook friendbase (funny that it could be "too personal" for FB but not the entire internet!). I am also a member of 20-something-bloggers and post links to each post in the appropriate groups (for example, I am a member of a Foodies group, but would never post a Wedding Recap link that group, I think that would be rude). I participate in at least 1 link-up a week, but usually closer to 3. I make sure to comment on as many blogs as possible, but don't say "come by my blog blah blah blah" UNLESS I wrote a post that is completely relevant to the post in which I am commenting - in this case, I leave a link for that SPECIFIC post, explaining why I think they may like the read it.

    3. Where do you draw the line with self-promotion? Is there such thing as bad exposure?

    I am not 100% sure if there is such thing as bad promotion. Personally, I just do what I am comfortable with. ACTUALLY YES - bad promotion is leaving spam on other people's blogs - rude and tacky!

    4. Those of you with 50-100 followers: How long did it take you to get there, and how hard to you feel you had to work for it?

    I currently have 124 followers via GFC. I started my blog on March 27th of this year, so it has taken me almost 4 months to accumulate that many. I feel I had to put a lot of work in, but not a deadly amount by any means. I posted at least 9 times a week during the first 2 months, every single day for the 3rd, and now post at least 5 times a day, but strive for every day. And every single time I publish a new post, I share it in the aforementioned ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes - sorry that was so long, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments they're just fabulous!
Enable your email please so I can get back to you!