Monday, July 4, 2011

My Independece Day (Spoiler Alert, Not As Cool As Will Smith's)

As someone who is a say yes-er and enjoys having disposable income, the 4th of July has always been a holiday that I have a hard time saying no to as far as working my summer job.

I mean I love fireworks and barbecues just as much as the next person.

It just hasn't been in the cards for me to have the day off the past few years. This year is no exception, I'm working the afternoon/night shift serving frozen strawberry custard to hysterical people who have been asking for it for at least a week. No joke.

Dave is working tonight since he already got time off for my birthday this week .

So what did we do on this, our day of independence? We  slept in, vacuumed our cars, weeded our garden, and took the dog for a walk together.

Doesn't sound exciting to you? Well it wasn't.

But don't underestimate the feeling of accomplishment when you vacuum enough dog hair out of your car you could build a full-size replica of the real one. Of course I didn't do this. But I had enough fur that if I wanted to I could.

My point is, that I was able to do whatever I wanted. I was able to sleep in without worrying about my house falling in on my from bombs.

I was able to vacuum out my SUV. You know the one that I don't have to worry about fueling up, because have enough gas to go around in our country. (For now.)

I was able to weed the garden, a garden that I am able to keep, because I created it.

I was able to take my dog for a walk safely down the street without worrying about being taken away from my home or mugged.

I was allowed to do a lot of very basic things that I often take for granted, but in some other countries around the world I could not.

So thank you to those who served, do serve, and will serve in an effort to keep our country free.

And thanks George Washington for being such a badass. And all of those other guys in wigs too.

Speaking of doing what I want, in an effort to look somewhat cute in a t-shirt and jeans and patriotic for the customers, I painted my nails blue and red. Because tourists and regular customers alike usually like lame stuff like that.
Awkward claw. Hand modeling is not for me.



Remember: It's Patriotic to go get ice cream on your way to the fireworks, but it's even more patriotic to tip the girl at the window. Especially if her nails are fabulous.


Happy 4th. :)

1 comment:

  1. and don't forget that you don't have to wear any crazy coverings on your head cuz you are a woman! Thanks for the reminder that it's not just about hot dogs and ice cream on the 4th !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments they're just fabulous!
Enable your email please so I can get back to you!