Friday, August 17, 2012

The Maid of Honor Speech

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I had the honor of being asked to be my older sister's Maid of Honor. I was so happy to do it since she had been mine. When it came time to write my speech I was nervous that it wouldn't be quite right, but a few hours and three hours later (yes this typed out is three word document pages, but it is spaced out a lot because that's okay right?) I finally had a speech that I deemed worthy. 
With the bride's permission, I've decided to post it here. 
Whether you're reading it because you follow my blog, you're a family member that couldn't make it, or you're trying to write one yourself and need some inspiration on where to go, I hope this fulfills all of your wildest dreams. 
Of course, imagine me reading it with lots of faces, inflection, and making pauses in all of the right places. Because even though I don't remember if I did or not I'd like to think so.


My Maid of Honor Toast

There are a few things that people have to do in their lives that are considered "hard".

Like studying calculus, rocket science, or performing brain surgery.
But, I think the hardest thing that someone might encounter is being the first serious boyfriend introduced into a tight-knit family of two parents and four girls.

Oh wait, that's not it.

The hardest thing someone might have to do is be the first serious boyfriend introduced into our family of four girls.

Travis here, was that guy.

Don't get me wrong, we thought Travis was very nice; he made a pretty good first impression, and seemed to treat Nicole right.

But this wasn't just any girl he was dating here, it was our Nicole. Princess Nicole.


Now, I don't know if any of you are familiar the inner ongoings of a household of all sisters.

When you have four sisters growing up in tight quarters, similar ages, and strong family values, they're going to be pretty close.

They'll keep each other in check but also pick each other up.

They'll encourage and challenge each other.

They'll keep secrets when a secret needs to be kept but also rat each other out to mom and dad when the other needs to get in trouble.


They might even do things like come up with new words to use with each other like scoobie-ish and gunga.

Or let's say,  a younger sister might write a 9 page letter to the oldest sister the night before she goes to college and hide it in their things for her to find when they move into their dorm.

Or, I don't know,  come up with voices for each others' dogs.

I mean, hypothetically. Right?

Either way, when you have a group of sisters or family this close I would imagine that it might be intimidating, or a little “hard” to join into.

But, we got to know Travis.
We invited him on family vacations.
We played games in the backyard and sat around fires talking at night.
 We slowly let him in on our inside jokes.
We made up nicknames for him like Trav-Trav and Ryan Seacrest.
 He eventually was like just another part of the family.

And Nicole got to know Travis's family over the years too.  Getting her own nicknames and new inside jokes. She was obviously welcomed as a part of his family as well.

Now some people might consider a wedding as someone leaving their family.
But I don't.
Nicole might have changed her last name today, but she couldn't ditch us if she tried.

I’d like to think of three new families being formed today:

1. The *(his last name)*'s just got a super cool new sister, making them a new family of 6.

2. Our family just gained a pretty awesome brother if I may say so myself, making us a new family of 8.

 And 3. Probably the most beautiful thing today is that Nicole and Travis obtained  a new family  of their own: each other.
While they'll always have their original families, today is the start of their journey as one. One couple brought together in marriage.
 One family of their own.


Now, as a married woman myself I do feel compelled to share a couple nuggets of knowledge with the two of you today.

First:
Yes, marriage is pretty awesome and it can be a lot of fun.
Sometimes it might even feel easy.

But, it's not always going to be easy.

Sometimes, it'll be hard.
Like calculus or brain surgery kind-of-hard.
And it's going to require both a little and a lot of work at different times.

You did indeed say for better or for worse up in front of all of these people today, and at some point you'll have a worse. That's just life. It's full of ups and downs.



Don't worry though, there's a number 2 and it's happier.
The cool thing is that you did say both for better or for worse up in front of all of us today
You get to go through those betters with each other too.
You know that feeling you have for each other today? It gets even better.
The friendship that you have formed over the past 7 years? That gets even better.
You know all of those awesome times you've both had already? Those get even better too.
The two of you as people, and your relationship together will continue to get even better as time goes on.
And that makes all of the hard stuff you go through all the more worth it.

I'll end this long winded toast today with a quick little quote from Julia Child, speaking of her long-lasting marriage to her husband Paul,

“We had a happy marriage because we were together all the time. We were friends as well as husband and wife. We just had a good time.”

(Raise glass.)

Nicole and Travis, it's clear to see you're not just husband and wife today.
You're also best of friends, who will undoubtedly always have a good time together.
You two are just perfect for each other.

And that's not a very hard thing to say.

To Nicole and Travis.

5 comments:

  1. Love it. Wish you had a youtube or something of it. Well done Maid of Honor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!!! Will you be my maid of honor please? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great speech! Don't even know your fam and I was tearing up.

    I love it even more b/c I have 3 sisters and can totally relate to the the close-knit family dynamic you're talking about. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just outstanding!! The wedding speech for my daughter's wedding was the last thing on my mind!! My husband has already prepared the speech and he even told me about the Groom Wedding Speech that he made for our daughter's wedding. The site is just perfect to have some good ideas about the wedding speeches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments they're just fabulous!
Enable your email please so I can get back to you!